Have you ever had a bone density test? If you regularly consult a Gynaecologist about your health issues, then you’ve certainly got it on Prevention of Osteoporosis
You can get to know the minor as well as major bone-related problems during the bone density test. With the rise in age, the bones get weak, tend to crack, and can contribute to leading problems such as Osteoporosis. The fractures in the honeycomb begin to escalate and affect general well-being as osteoporosis occurs.
In addition, osteoporosis is now becoming prominent among postmenopausal women as the most common skeletal disorder. If the condition is not addressed with a Gynaecologist in a timely way, it may lead to more issues in health.
In order to seek protective measures for osteoporosis or any other adverse complications, it is necessary to have frequent consultation with a reliable Gynaecologist or obstetrician.
You might be curious how a Gynaecologist plays a crucial role in Prevention of Osteoporosis care! Right? In this post, we have covered everything!
Scroll down & begin reading!
Table Of Contents
- How a Gynaecologist offers Osteoporosis treatment?
- 3 top Benefits of Gynaecologist in the prevention of Osteoporosis
- 1. Effective screening
- 2. Laboratory assessments
- 3. Excellent Pharmacological treatment options
- What are the precautions & treatments gynaecologists suggest?
How does a gynaecologist provide treatment for Osteoporosis?
Like most bone experts, the gynaecologist also provides the best prevention measure for osteoporosis. The reason for this is that the vast majority of women do not prefer to consult other doctors. Either they feel comfortable in sharing all of their issues with a gynaecologist or have built a healthy relationship for openly communicating all disorders.
Above all, there’s nothing about the gynaecologist’s not directing and recommending the prevention steps to them. Instead, they provide the patient with the best healthcare services with the best treatment.
Here, we have curated a list of them!
- They slow or prevent, with a thorough diagnosis, the progression of osteoporosis in women.
- They offer outstanding care, considering the age factor, to preserve good bone mineral density & bone mass.
- They alleviate silent discomfort and help promote well-being using the latest diagnostic practices.
- They aim to optimize the potential of women to continue their daily lives.
3 top Benefits of gynaecologist in the Prevention of Osteoporosis
1. Effective screening
The traditional approach used to determine the bone mineral density of the back, shoulder, and forearm is central dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry. Most patients assume that this procedure is only used by bone doctors to detect osteoporosis. Yet gynaecologists are still using this procedure today to help patients get rid of leading health bone conditions such as osteoporosis.
Gynecologists evaluate the bone density carefully and recommend treatments for efficient BMD screening diagnosis. They never compel a patient to seek medication from them. It’s just their decision!!
2. Laboratory assessments
Gynaecologists first suggest complete laboratory tests that include complete blood count, sedimentation rate, albumin, and creatinine to understand the root cause of osteoporosis. Without recognizing the reason behind it, they never prescribe medication to a patient.
Also, as DEXA scan is the standard for measuring the density of a person’s bones and their risk for osteoporosis, the gynaecologist recommends it to the patient and then prescribes the treatment.
Women who may be pregnant may also be cautioned against testing. She must wish to consider addressing the pros and cons of DEXA tests with her gynaecologist if there is a hint of a potential risk of osteoporosis in a pregnant woman.
3. Excellent Pharmacological treatment options
For postmenopausal women that have a history with fragility fractures, pharmacological treatment is typically recommended.
The National Osteoporosis Guideline Group (NOGG) suggests that the medical threshold for osteoporosis may vary from the pharmacological threshold for osteoporosis therapy. But the root cause and timely treatment for the condition must be identified & implemented.
Here, the best gynaecologists play a major part. They propose osteopenia pharmacological therapy to patients and prescribe the ultimate cure to fully remove the issue.
What are the precautions & treatments gynaecologists suggest?
- Calcium & vitamin intake
Hopefully, you may know how much calcium is essential for bones. Vitamins are also helpful in reinforcing the bones and reducing the chances of osteoporosis in the same way.
If you visit a doctor, either a bone surgeon, an obstetrician, or a gynaecologist in Melbourne, then you may certainly have to follow the prescribed diet schedule. Otherwise, to avoid osteoporosis, it is mandatory to eat dairy foods, such as milk, cheese, and yogurt.
- Lifestyle factors
- The gynaecologist recommended that smoking should be avoided, as this can decrease new bone growth and decrease the amount of estrogen in women.
- They prescribe weight-bearing exercise every day, such as walking because it makes bones strong and improves their muscle support.
- Besides, the best gynaecologist advised regular yoga to promote flexibility and balance. It can also reduce the risk of falls and fractures.
- Limiting alcohol intake to promote healthy bones and prevent falls.
- Regular vision screenings.
- Patients must undergo an ultrasound scan of the bone, in which they’re feeling an issue and are likely to consider it as osteoporosis.
- BMD test
- Hormone therapies
- Anabolic therapy
- CT scan of the spine
Osteoporosis is truly a major bone disease that needs exact prevention & treatment. Whether you get it from our concerned doctor or from the best gynaecologist both will guide you to eradicate the issue and improve all bone density for the future. The decision is solely yours from where you want to get effective treatment!!
Hopefully, you can make a good decision to get the best possible treatment. If you carefully read the post, you will certainly visit a gynaecologist and get the right care.
If you have any doubts or opinions, then do comment below!
Author Bio: Sophie Torrens, a marketing Manager cum content writer at Northpark Private Hospital under “Dr. Steven Hatzikostas”. He is a well-known gynaecologist in Melbourne who has a great depth of experience in handling high-risk pregnancies and general gynecology.